Pretoria – Cable theft has been blamed for the Nellmapius Clinic catching alight Friday morning.
People who rely on the facility were being encouraged to use nearby clinics in Silverton, Phahameng, and Mamelodi West, health authorities said.
The fire broke out at the reception area of the clinic, which is situated in Region 6.
“Our Emergency Services Department responded speedily and are still on-site assessing the extent of the damage,” the City of Tshwane said in a terse communique.
“It is suspected that cable theft occurred outside the clinic during load-shedding which caused an electrical spark once the power was restored.
“This, in turn, is believed to have caused the fire.”
MMC for Health Cllr Rina Marx said: “In my capacity as MMC for Health, I have already visited the site this morning”.
MMC Marx added: “The clinic will be closed to allow the City’s response teams to complete their investigations and assessment.
“I want to give assurances that the Health Department’s Business Continuity Plan has been implemented.”
Staff and patients will be redirected to the nearest clinics, notably in Silverton, Phahameng and Mamelodi West.
“At this stage of reporting it is unclear as to when the clinic will be reopened as we are still awaiting the findings of the assessment. Community members will be kept informed with regular updates,” said MMC Marx.
“Our multiparty coalition government will ensure that the necessary repairs are undertaken so that the clinic can be reopened to provide the necessary primary healthcare services to surrounding communities.
“I want to take this opportunity to thank community members for their understanding and urge them to make use of the services at the identified neighbouring clinics.”