Orkney – The Orkney Magistrate’s Court, in the North West, has deferred the case against 43-year-old Councillor Tebogo Sepale accused of raping two teenage boys and statutory rape of a female minor.
The disgraced Matlosana Local Municipality Councillor – whose nefarious deeds were caught on video and circulated on social media – faces 11 provisional charges including statutory rape, violation of a child, manufacturing pornographic material, rape, and sexual intimidation.
Sepale has been in custody since his arrest earlier this month, on 8 May 2023.
The matter was adjourned to 26 June 2023, for further investigations and possible bail application.
The state is awaiting further details on the investigation to possibly add more charges against the accused, who is an African National Congress (ANC) Councillor.
Soon after Sepale’s arrest, the ANC “condemned in the strongest possible terms the despicable and barbaric acts of sexual abuse and rape” allegedly committed by its Councillor.
Narrating events leading up to Sepale’s arrest, North West National Prosecuting Authority Spokesperson Henry Mamothame said the accused’s court appearance emanates from a report by the police.
The report indicated that the South African Police Service Klerksdorp Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit was investigating a case of crimen injuria and two separate counts of statutory rape allegedly committed by Sepale.
Mamothame said the crimes were reported at Kanana Police Station.
In one of the cases, the suspect allegedly shared on social media a nude picture of himself with the complainant – who is a minor.
Mamothame said on Saturday, (6 May 2023}, the parents of two boys aged 15 and 17 seen in the vile video with the accused reported the matter to the police.
“The public is urged to refrain from circulating sexual content of any form through all mediums as it may compromise the victims and their families, as well as the investigations into the matter,” said Mamothame.