Cape Town – African National Congress (ANC) Chief Whip in Parliament Pemmy Majodina has rejected, as false, reports suggesting that she tried to solicit a bribe from suspended public protector, Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane, to end her matter.
Allegations in the Star suggests that Majodina, alongside former cabinet minister, Tina Joemat-Pettersson, and the Chairperson of the Inquiry Qubudile Dyantyi attempted to extort R600 000 from Mkhwebane to end the ongoing Section 194 inquiry into her fitness to hold office.
The trio is accused of getting into contact with Mkhwebane seeking a bribe to make her impeachment inquiry disappear.
Since President Cyril Ramaphosa suspended Mkhwebane last year, on 9 June 2022, she has embarked on several court actions that have dragged out the Section 194 Committee.
Mkhwebane’s term comes to an end in October.
Angered by the bribery accusations, Majodina told the SABC on Sunday that she was “going to sue” Mzilikazi wa Afrika, the author of the story.
“I know nothing about this… I have never heard about it… up until yesterday when I got this inquiry from Mzilikazi,” said the ANC Chief Whip.
“I responded honestly that I know nothing about it… I can wait to be investigated as per his breaking news article that there is an investigation.
“I have not been called by any police… I don’t even know when this thing has happened.”
Majodina added that journalists were “taking us for granted that we have never sued… I am going to sue Mzilikazi”.
Mzilikazi responded on Twitter saying, “bring it on”.
The ANC Chief Whip explained that she has no role in the ongoing Section 194 Committee.
“I don’t even sit on that committee,” she said, adding, “This cheap, low, destructive reporting is just not on”.
Commenting on the matter, ANC Secretary General Fikile Mbalula said: “If there is anybody who has done anything that Mzilikazi is alleging would have happened in the inquiry of Mkhwebane, that person is in for a high jump. The ANC will not hesitate to act”.