Pretoria – Power has been restored to the areas affected by the Koedoespoort Substation transformer explosion, the City of Tshwane said Saturday.
“All affected areas of Koedoespoort Sub are back. If there is a customer that is still without power the complaint should be reported through customer care for the maintenance team to attend,” the City said Saturday afternoon.
Several areas in Tshwane had been without electricity since Friday when the explosion occurred.
The City said: “The Energy and Electricity Department (EED) has managed to confirm the integrity of some of the powerlines, which saw Transformer 1 at the Koedoespoort, Transformer 1A, 1B, and 1C at the Watloo as well as Pumulani Substations being switched back on”.
The City explained that to restore the power supply, the Njala-Watloo line had to be put on parallel with Njala-Hailand line to give a combined load of 307mw.
“The Koedoespoort Transformer T2C is energised and now being soaked,” the City said.
“Currently, 50% of Koedoespoort, 50% of Kilnerpark, and 50% of Blesbok customers have been loaded.
The Koedoespoort Substation caught fire Friday, (16 June 2023), afternoon when a Transformer (1C) exploded and caused damage to a nearby transformer 1B, causing a power outage that affected several areas in Regions 2, 3, and 6.
Power restoration to the affected areas was done gradually while the EED team is monitoring the load,” said the City in a communique issued by its Communication, Marketing, and Events Department.
“The city apologises for the inconvenience caused by this unforeseen occurrence. Consumers will be kept abreast of the developments,” the communique said.
*Updated at 14:30