Police have re-arrested 35-year-old prison escapee Yanga Wayithi who was serving a six-month sentence for theft and trespassing when he escaped from prison in the Western Cape.
Wayithi escaped from Pollsmoor Correctional Centre on Tuesday, but his freedom bid was shortlived.
The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) on Wednesday, (12 February 2025), said in a statement that Wayithi had been re-arrested “following a coordinated law enforcement operation”.
Wayithi was apprehended in the early hours of Wednesday, (12 February 2025), at about 01:30.
“He is now back in custody at Pollsmoor Correctional Centre and will face additional charges related to his escape from lawful custody,” the DCS said.
National Commissioner of Correctional Services, Makgothi Thobakgale commended the swift action of the officials involved.
“This arrest reaffirms our commitment to upholding the integrity of the correctional system,” said Thobakgale.
“We remain resolute in ensuring that all offenders are held accountable and that public safety remains our top priority.”
The DCS said a full-scale investigation was underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the escape.
“Appropriate measures will be taken against any lapses identified. Additionally, security protocols at Pollsmoor Correctional Centre are under review to prevent similar incidents in the future,” the DCS said.


