The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • APO Releases
  • Business
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Netball
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Entertainment
  • Bookmarks
Search
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Science
  • Weird World
  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
Reading: Man Who Stabbed Woman With Screwdriver Has Been On The Run For Over A Year
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • SA National Elections 2024
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Netball
    • Rugby
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Bookmarks
    • Customize Interests
    • My Bookmarks
  • The Bulrushes
    • Company Profile
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
The Bulrushes > Court > Man Who Stabbed Woman With Screwdriver Has Been On The Run For Over A Year
Court

Man Who Stabbed Woman With Screwdriver Has Been On The Run For Over A Year

Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Published: November 4, 2025
Share
8 Min Read
ON THE RUN: Gregory 'Gregg' Derick Kleynhans
SHARE

Johannesburg – More than a year after the man accused of a vicious gender-based attack absconded on the day he was supposed to stand trial, the suspect remains free.

AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit on Tuesday, 4 November 2025, alleged that the police “have shown no interest in apprehending him and appear to have ignored tip-offs about his possible location”.

Helena Fairlie, who was stabbed multiple times with a screwdriver, took it upon herself to try to locate the accused, Gregory Kleynhans, and has turned to AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit for help.

“While the Unit has urgently written to the police to demand an explanation for their apparent failure, it is also appealing to the public to come forward with information to help locate Kleynhans to ensure he faces justice,” said spokesperson, Barry Bateman.

The accused and Fairlie were previously in a relationship.

On 6 December 2022, Kleynhans allegedly accosted Fairlie outside a guesthouse in Centurion as she was leaving for work.

He allegedly dragged her by the hair, attempted to force her into his car, slammed the door against her, and stabbed her multiple times with a screwdriver.

When neighbours responded to Fairlie’s desperate screams for help, Kleynhans allegedly dropped the screwdriver and fled the scene.

Fairlie was treated for stab wounds on her thighs and chest.

Bateman said the police are believed to have arrested Kleynhans, but he was released a day later.

The police have not informed Fairlie of the circumstances surrounding Kleynhans’ release or whether he was subject to any conditions of release.

Because of her insistence that Kleynhans be prosecuted, as well as her refusal to participate in any mediation, the case was eventually scheduled for trial in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on 13 and 14 March 2024.

Despite being legally represented previously, Kleynhans arrived at court without his legal representative and applied for legal aid.

The witnesses, who were all present, were then told that the trial would begin on 28 October 2024.

All of the witnesses were present on the morning, but Kleynhans failed to arrive, which prompted the court to issue a warrant for his arrest.

Recently, Fairlie contacted the online news platform Maroela Media, which reported on the case and referred her to the AfriForum Private Prosecution Unit.

The mother of two said the investigating officer has shown little interest in the case.

“From the start, the investigating officer was slow to do anything, especially after the warrant of arrest was issued,” Fairlie was quoted as saying in a statement made available to The Bulrushes.

“He gave me the runaround.

“He was always out of the office, and months would go by where he just didn’t do anything.

“I had to phone him numerous times.

“I took it upon myself to post about the case on social media with Gregory’s photo and the case number to see if I can locate him.”  

Fairlie provided the investigating officer with information about the accused’s possible whereabouts, and aside from a call to the accused’s mother to see if he was with her, no further action was taken.

She also informed the investigating officer that he was possibly seen with an identified female companion in Brakpan.

Fairlie has presented the Unit with a voice note Kleynhans allegedly recorded and sent to her sister on the morning of the attack, wherein he says: “This morning just got out of hand, I just wanted five minutes of her time, just to talk to her”.

Fairlie says she informed the investigating officer of the recording but was told that he did not need it as evidence.

Fairlie said she feels let down by the police.

“From the start, it felt like nobody really wanted to help me. I’m going through all of this trauma,” she said.

“At that time, my son was only 11 years old, and I still needed to be there for him.

“I didn’t even leave my house for a whole year; I didn’t go anywhere.

“I’m frustrated and disappointed in the police, especially the investigating officer.”  

Bateman said Fairlie’s case was another example of the state’s failure to seriously deal with gender-based violence.

“More than three years since the attack that nearly killed Helena, the accused person has not gone on trial because the police are either unwilling or incapable of locating him,” Bateman said.

“As with so many other cases of gender-based violence, when the state fails, the victims turn to AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit to do their jobs.

“Every day that Gregg Kleynhans evades the police is another day that Helena and her children are at risk.”

Bateman added: “The unit has asked the Commander of the Wierdabrug Police Station to give the case immediate attention, but also asks the public to come forward if they have any relevant information.”

Commenting on the matter, Advocate Gerrie Nel, head of AfriForum’s Private Prosecuting Unit, who has now been briefed to ensure that justice is done, said: “As we have stated countless times before, this is another example of the state’s lip service to their commitment to prioritise and give special attention to the scourge of gender-based violence.

“We have heard President Cyril Ramaphosa refer to GBV as a pandemic, but sadly experience the laissez-faire approach of the SAPS [South African Police Service] and the NPA [National Prosecuting Authority] on a daily basis.”  

Bateman said that in this instance, as in many others, the prosecutor’s only effort to prepare the complainant to testify was to have her read her statement beforehand.

“Victims of crime, particularly gender-based violence, must be thoroughly consulted before being called to testify,” said Bateman.

“Failure to do so exposes them to cross-examination by experienced defence lawyers.

“This is simply unacceptable and contradicts the NPA’s stated victim-centric approach to dealing with GBV [Gender-Based Violence] cases.”

The accused’s full name is Gregory Derick Kleynhans, but he uses “Gregg” as his first name.

He also goes by the name Gregg Wexler and is possibly staying with relatives in either Brakpan, Hartbeespoort, or Mokopane.

The Unit has provided photos of Kleynhans, and anyone with information about his possible whereabouts is asked to email the Unit at: onsvervolg@afriforum.co.za.

Support The Bulrushes PayPal Logo
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry0
Happy0
Previous Article High Court Halts Operation Dudula’s Unlawful Actions Against Foreign Nationals
Next Article Typhoid Outbreak: City Of Tshwane Tests Show Surge In Cases In Informal Settlements

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow

Latest News

Damian Groenewald And Hayley Ward Crowned New Growthpoint Squash Champions
Squash
August 23, 2026
Traditional Leaders, Deputy Police Minister, Top Cops Attend Giyani Anti-Crime Imbizo
News
August 23, 2026
WATCH: ANC Announces Mayoral Candidates
Featured Video
August 22, 2026
Police Search For Gunmen Who Fatally Shot Former Boxing Champion Zolani Tete
News
August 22, 2026
//

The Bulrushes prides itself on real news you can trust. We keep everything simple – no fudging.

  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Politics
  • General
  • World
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Netball
  • Rugby
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes