Johannesburg – Businessman Oupa Brown Mogotsi, who was arrested after appearing before the Madlanga Commission, will spend another week behind bars while authorities verify his residential address.
Mogotsi appeared before the Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court today, Monday, 18 May 2026, facing multiple charges arising from an alleged staged assassination attempt reported in Vosloorus.
Mogotsi is facing charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, discharging a firearm in a built-up area, defeating the ends of justice, and perjury.
On 3 November 2025, Mogotsi reported to police that while driving alone in Vosloorus, he was pursued by occupants of a bakkie who allegedly fired multiple shots at his vehicle, forcing him to stop and flee on foot.
Following his report, police launched an investigation into the alleged attempted murder.
“However, investigations subsequently revealed that Mogotsi allegedly deliberately stopped his vehicle, exited it while armed with a firearm, and fired multiple shots at his own vehicle,” revealed National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Magaboke Mohlatlole.
It is further alleged that Mogotsi made a false statement under oath in an affidavit deposed before a commissioner of oaths, falsely claiming that his vehicle had been shot at by unknown assailants.
The State, which said the offences Mogotsi was accused of were serious and fell in Schedule Five, requested a seven-day postponement to verify the accused’s residential address for bail purposes.
The matter was postponed to Monday, 25 May 2026, for address verification and other bail application investigations.
Mogotsi, who was arrested shortly after appearing before the Madlanga Commission on Friday, 15 May 2026, was remanded in custody.
Mohlatlole said the NPA remains committed to ensuring that any attempt to undermine the administration of justice is dealt with in accordance with the law.


