The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • APO Releases
  • Business
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Netball
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Entertainment
  • Bookmarks
Search
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Science
  • Weird World
  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
Reading: Ghanaians Fearing ‘Xenophobia’ Sign Up For Voluntary Repatriation From South Africa
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • SA National Elections 2024
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Netball
    • Rugby
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Bookmarks
    • Customize Interests
    • My Bookmarks
  • The Bulrushes
    • Company Profile
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
The Bulrushes > News > Ghanaians Fearing ‘Xenophobia’ Sign Up For Voluntary Repatriation From South Africa
News

Ghanaians Fearing ‘Xenophobia’ Sign Up For Voluntary Repatriation From South Africa

Temoso Mokoena
Temoso Mokoena
Published: May 24, 2026
Share
8 Min Read
SHARE

Pretoria – Hundreds of Ghanaians gathered at the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria for security screening linked to their country’s free repatriation programme amid rising anti-immigrant protests.

The Ghanaians, wanting to voluntarily leave South Africa, were being assisted with their security screening and paperwork earlier today, Sunday, 24 May 2026, by Home Affairs officials.

H.E Benjamin Kofi Quashie @bkqGhana Ghana High Commissioner to South Africa 🇿🇦 gives update on Ghanaian 🇬🇭 who opted for voluntary repatriation from South Africa amid tensions with some local communities.
The group gathered at the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria today for… pic.twitter.com/1A9o1qnW0h

— Aristotlektv (@aristotledada) May 24, 2026

Speaking to The Bulrushes during a media briefing last week on Tuesday, 19 May 2026, Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quashie, revealed that at least 826 Ghanaians had registered for the voluntary evacuation programme.

Screening began on Sunday for the first group of 300 people, who are expected to fly to Ghana on Wednesday, 27 May 2026.

High Commissioner Quashie said the initiative followed weeks of anti-immigration protests in Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, and the Eastern Cape.

The demonstrations, led by the group March and March, have called for foreign nationals to leave South Africa by the end of June.

Commenting further on the matter today, the High Commissioner said: “The government of Ghana feels that it is time to bring those who feel unsafe in this country back home and reintegrate them into Ghanaian society.

“We have 800 people who have volunteered to leave South Africa.

“The first screening is for 300 people.

“We began the process today, it continues tomorrow, and the first group leaves on Wednesday.”

Who qualifies for the programme?
High Commissioner Quashie said any Ghanaian with a valid passport who no longer feels safe in South Africa can apply for the programme.

Participation remains voluntary.

The Ghanaian government has also introduced a support package for returning citizens.

The package includes a financial welcome-home payment, transport assistance within Ghana, a reintegration allowance, psychosocial support services, and inclusion in a database for employment and business opportunities.

Evacuation delayed by logistics
The repatriation process faced delays earlier this week after registration numbers increased and logistical requirements expanded.

The original evacuation flight was delayed.

Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs blamed the delay on screening procedures, coordination between multiple institutions, and outstanding flight permits.

“Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days,” the ministry said in a statement.

A report, not independently verified by The Bulrushes, suggested that a Ghana national had arrived at OR Tambo International Airport expecting to depart last Thursday, 22 May 2026.

The individual was identified as 22-year-old Sylvester Boakye, a Ghanaian hairdresser who had been trying to return home for several months.

High CommissionerQuashie explained that Boakye had acted on wrong information, which led to inaccurate reports that only one person had turned up for the repatriation flight.

“It was not true that only one person wanted to go. The gentleman went there without knowing the correct date,” the High Commissioner said.

“We made it clear that we would inform everyone before the process started.

“That is why we see the numbers here today, because we finally told them it was time.”

The Ghana High Commission stated  that arrangements were underway to facilitate Boakye’s return once all required procedures had been completed.

Accounts from those returning home
Boakye was among those in the queue earlier today.

He said he had worked as a hairdresser in South Africa for two years but struggled to save enough money for a ticket home.

“When I missed my flight during a visit to South Africa, I could not raise enough money to go back home,” he said.

“A fellow Ghanaian helped me and gave me a job. I tried to save enough, but things became too difficult.

“The little money I made was taken by corrupt officials who always targeted us for bribes.”

Another Ghana national, who identified himself only as Fredrick, said he had decided to leave South Africa and never return.

“We came to this country looking for a better life. But we realised there is not much here for us,” he said.

“There are constant xenophobic attacks and other difficult things that come with staying here. I feel it is better for me to go home. There is no place like home.”

A third Ghanaian, who asked not to be named, said he was assaulted in Meadowlands, Soweto.

“They kicked me and beat me up. That is why I have come to the embassy. I want to go home,” he said.

Diplomatic concerns and calls for restraint
High Commissioner Quashie described the attacks on foreign nationals as xenophobic and urged authorities to address the situation through proper institutions.

“I think we should not mince words. These are xenophobic attacks. People are taking the law into their own hands, and that is a challenge,” he said.

At the same time, he said he did not believe the incidents would damage diplomatic ties between South and Ghana.

“We need to move from talking and get to action,” he added.

However, South African Presidency spokesperson Vincent Magwenya has rejected claims that the protests reflect widespread xenophobia.

He described the incidents as isolated protests occurring within the country’s constitutional framework and said broader migration pressures across Africa also needed attention.

High Commissioner Quashie urged communities to allow law enforcement and immigration authorities to deal with illegal migration rather than taking matters into their own hands.

“Once we let institutions do their work, everyone will be better off,” he said.

“Illegal migration is a threat, and it is a threat all over the world. But how we respond to it determines whether we move forward positively.”

He also called for stronger African unity and cooperation.

“We should not be against each other. We should work together. Africanism is the only way Africa will take its rightful place among nations,” he said.

Wider immigration tensions
South Africa is home to more than three million foreign nationals, accounting for about five percent of the population.

The country continues to face unemployment levels above 30 percent, contributing to frustration over jobs, migration, and pressure on public services.

Anti-immigrant violence has periodically erupted over the past two decades. Sixty-two people were killed during the 2008 xenophobic attacks, while further outbreaks occurred in 2015, 2016, and 2019.

Ghana and South Africa currently maintain a visa-waiver agreement allowing citizens to travel between the two countries for up to 90 days without visas.

High Commissioner Quashie said most of the estimated 16 000 Ghanaians living in South Africa are in the country legally and comply with local laws.

The screening process is expected to continue.

Support The Bulrushes PayPal Logo
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry0
Happy0
Previous Article Forensic Science Laboratory Police Captain Arrested, Ballistic Reports Found At His Home
Next Article Thabo Mbeki Africa Day Lecture: ‘Africa Must Build The Power To Act,’ Says Dr. John Fayemi

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow

Latest News

Much-loved Veteran Journalist Baldwin Ndaba Has Passed Away
News
May 24, 2026
Thabo Mbeki Africa Day Lecture: ‘Africa Must Build The Power To Act,’ Says Dr. John Fayemi
News
May 24, 2026
Forensic Science Laboratory Police Captain Arrested, Ballistic Reports Found At His Home
News
May 24, 2026
Just Over 2 Hours After Cash-In-Transit Heist, Police Arrest 2 Robbers, Recover Stolen Money
News
May 24, 2026
//

The Bulrushes prides itself on real news you can trust. We keep everything simple – no fudging.

  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Politics
  • General
  • World
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Netball
  • Rugby
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes