Former public enterprises minister, Malusi Gigaba, who denies he was in the pocket of the Guptas, told the commission of inquiry into state capture on Thursday evening that his estranged wife, Norma Mngoma, “posted everything on social media”.
“If she arrives at an airport she will post pictures … she is that type of person,” said Gigaba. He rejected as false claims that he demanded Mngoma’s phones so that he could delete incriminating photos.
He said the divorce proceedings were still going ahead but settlement discussion had been “abandoned”.
Asked if he was aware that charges laid against Mngoma were withdrawn, Gigaba said he found out from media reports.
He said he was not involved. “All I did was report the matter to the police”.
The matter related to Gigaba’s complaint that his wife had damaged an expensive car that had been loaned to him by a friend.
Gigaba, who is also a former finance minister, said he was, however, aware of information suggesting that his estranged wife was “plotting” to kill him.
Gigaba is refuting evidence led by his wife that suggests he frequently visited the Gupta residents in Saxonworld, Johannesburg, where his bag would be stuffed with money.
Although she did not see the Guptas placing any money in her husband’s bag, Mngoma told the commission that she saw huge amounts of cash when Gigaba opened his boot in Sandton after a visit to Saxonworld. The former minister denies receiving any money from the Guptas.
When she testified, Mngoma told the Zondo commission that she feared for her life because she had been receiving death threats.
The matter had to adjourn earlier than had been planned owing to the extended curfew.



