Bloemfontein – The number of people arrested in connection with Thabo Bester’s escape from the Mangaung Correctional Centre continues to rise with Monday’s arrest of two more suspects.
Bester dubbed the Facebook rapist, escaped from prison last year in May by faking his death. The elaborate escape involved torching a body, which has since been identified as that of missing 30-year-old Katlego Mpholo.
Bester, a convicted rapist and murderer, was serving a life sentence when he escaped from the correctional facility run by G4S.
“Two former employees who were dismissed by G4S were arrested on Monday, 1 May 2023, at their place of residence in Bloemfontein,” said Brigadier Athlenda Mathe, South African Police Service National Spokesperson.
“The pair will appear before the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, 3 May 2023, on a charge of assisting an inmate to escape from lawful custody and defeating the ends of justice.”
Since Bester’s rearrest in Tanzania last month the number of people arrested in connection with his escape has continued to rise.
“The team investigating this case has so far arrested eight suspects and cannot rule out the possibility of effecting more arrests,” said Brigadier Mathe.