Durban – Seven people were mowed down in bloody gunfire at the Glebelands Hostel in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Reports from the scene say a group of armed men entered the hostel and indiscriminately opened fire on nine other men who were drinking at the hostel in the early hours.
Commenting on the massacre, police at Umlazi said they, “have opened a docket containing seven counts of murder and two attempted murders following a shooting incident that claimed seven lives at the Glebelands Hostel in the early hours of this morning”.
Narrating events leading to the deadly attack, police in Umlazi said: “At 02:45 this morning, nine men aged between 20 and 40 years old were consuming alcohol in a room at Block 57 at the Glebelands Hostel when unknown gunmen opened fire on them before fleeing the scene”.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Jay Naicker said seven people died on the scene, and two others were taken to hospital with serious gunshot injuries.
He said the motive for the shooting is unknown at this stage.
The police said a manhunt had been launched and Detectives from the Provincial Task Team had already been instructed to probe the incident.
Anyone who has information that can assist in the investigation is requested to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or use the MYSAPS APP.