Pretoria – The University of South Africa (UNISA) has suspended Registrar Professor Steward Mothata for misconduct.
In the notice of suspension seen by The Bulrushes, UNISA accuses Professor Mothata of multiple transgressions that include:
- Breach of confidentiality,
- Gross abuse of office,
- Gross dishonesty,
- Gross insubordination,
- Giving and making false or damaging statements in the execution of your duties and/or in a public place,
- Sabotaging the academic project and/ or the business of the university in your dealings,
- Dereliction of your duties in that you have failed to advise the Council and its committees, as well as the Principal and Vice Chancellor regarding governance matters and the possible related risks.
- Usurping and assuming the powers and functions beyond those assigned to you
UNISA said: “Based on the above reasons, the decision has been taken to suspend you with immediate effect (June 5th, 2023) for a period not exceeding 90 days”.
“During this period of suspension, you remain entitled to all salary and benefits as a UNISA employee.
“‘However, you may not enter any of the university premises and you are not required to attend to any of your ordinary duties.”‘
The suspended registrar was also barred from contacting other UNISA staff.