The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • APO Releases
  • Business
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Netball
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Entertainment
  • Bookmarks
Search
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Science
  • Weird World
  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
Reading: Video Footage Of Fatal Shooting Emerges: Accused Tries To Pay Off Victim’s Family
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • SA National Elections 2024
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Netball
    • Rugby
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Bookmarks
    • Customize Interests
    • My Bookmarks
  • The Bulrushes
    • Company Profile
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
The Bulrushes > Crime > Video Footage Of Fatal Shooting Emerges: Accused Tries To Pay Off Victim’s Family
Crime

Video Footage Of Fatal Shooting Emerges: Accused Tries To Pay Off Victim’s Family

Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Published: July 2, 2024
Share
5 Min Read
DEMANDING JUSTICE: Slain Xolani Kunene’s wife, Nosipho Nombela, and his sister, Sindisiwe Mhlongo
SHARE

Johannesburg – Video footage has emerged of a deadly incident that occurred in Midrand two years ago in which a driver shot at his passenger before alighting from his car to fire more bullets at the fleeing victim who had collapsed onto the tarmac.

The victim in the surveillance footage was identified as Xolani Kunene, a married father of two.  

The alleged shooter is Buhle Lebohang Mabaso, who is accused of fatally shooting Kunene outside a housing estate in Midrand in the early hours of 13 August 2022. 

The family of the murdered man has now turned to AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit for help after an investigating officer and prosecutor allegedly tried to persuade them to accept a plea deal. 

The offer would see the accused plead guilty to culpable homicide in exchange for no prison time.  

Nearly two years later, Kunene’s family said they have lost faith in both the SA Police Service and the National Prosecuting Authority’s (NPA) ability to ensure justice for Kunene due to their persistent failure to provide any updates on the case’s progress. 

Commenting on the matter on Tuesday AfriForum said: “It is also unclear if critical evidence has been included in the docket. 

Surveillance footage of the incident depicts two men sitting in a car, as the driver produces a firearm and shoots his passenger several times. 

“While the man lies motionless on the ground, the driver walks around the car and shoots the man again in the head before fleeing in the car.”

Kunene died at the scene. 

Mabaso was arrested hours later, allegedly trying to flee Gauteng. 

He was granted bail a week later. Kunene’s wife, Nosipho Nombela, and his sister, Sindisiwe Mhlongo, allege that during the investigation into the murder, the investigating officer and prosecutor tried to talk them into accepting Mabaso’s offer. 

“The agreement would see Mabaso pay Kunene’s family R500 000 in compensation in exchange for a suspended sentence and a guilty plea on culpable homicide,” said AfriForum, adding: “They rejected the offer”. 

In April of last year, out of frustration at the lack of communication on the status of the case, Mhlongo approached several NPA officials, including a Gauteng deputy director of public prosecutions. 

Despite a commitment to provide feedback, Mhlongo said that was the last she heard from the senior NPA official. Mhlongo said she and her family have been left in the dark. 

“It concerns us that the accused is able to ask the investigating officer to invite us to discuss compensation,” said Mhlongo. 

“But the prosecution doesn’t respond to any of our emails and concerns as a family. We do not know what their strategy is. 

“So I approached AfriForum because they’ve built a good brand out there for standing up for South African citizens.

“They were literally the only people when I went public on social media who responded and gave us the ear and actually took the matter seriously even though my brother wasn’t famous.”  

Barry Bateman, the AfriForum Private Prosecuting Unit’s spokesperson, said prosecutors have a duty to provide updates to the families and loved ones of those affected by crime. 

“The failure of the NPA to properly communicate not only pays lip service to their strategy of being victim-focused but creates the opportunity for their conduct to be questioned,” said Bateman. 

“Having seen the surveillance footage of the incident, we see murder as the only charge the accused should plead to. 

“We will closely monitor the case and ensure that all the evidence, including the surveillance footage, is presented to the court.”  

The matter will be heard in court on 29 July 2024.

Good Day All , thanks for the support @barrybateman and @afriforum . disheartening trauma we continue to experience as the family whilst there is video footage . We have been undermined incessantly by @NPA_Prosecutes @SAPoliceService to a dehumanising extent.#JusticeforXolani https://t.co/4OwKYHh0dG

— Sindisiwe Mhlongo (@SindisiweMhloZA) July 2, 2024
Support The Bulrushes PayPal Logo
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry3
Happy1
Previous Article NHLS Ransomware Attack: Gauteng Health Says Laboratory Tests Delayed
Next Article Police Rescue Kidnapped Portuguese-Speaking Butchery Owner In Snake Park

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow

Latest News

Africa’s Crisis Is Institutional Before It Is Continental
Columns
May 23, 2026
National Assembly Colloquium Places The Constitution’s 30-Year Promise Under Scrutiny
News
May 23, 2026
Kruger National Park: 2 Missing Tourists Found Dead By Fellow Visitors
News
May 23, 2026
Prosecutor Ntaba ‘Off The Hook’: NPA To Appeal Contempt Ruling, Warrant Of Arrest
News
May 23, 2026
//

The Bulrushes prides itself on real news you can trust. We keep everything simple – no fudging.

  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Politics
  • General
  • World
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Netball
  • Rugby
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes