The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • APO Releases
  • Business
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Netball
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Entertainment
  • Bookmarks
Search
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Science
  • Weird World
  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
Reading: Cancer Treatment: Court Upholds Gauteng Department Of Health’s High Court Appeal
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • SA National Elections 2024
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Netball
    • Rugby
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Bookmarks
    • Customize Interests
    • My Bookmarks
  • The Bulrushes
    • Company Profile
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
The Bulrushes > Court > Cancer Treatment: Court Upholds Gauteng Department Of Health’s High Court Appeal
Court

Cancer Treatment: Court Upholds Gauteng Department Of Health’s High Court Appeal

Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Published: December 8, 2025
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Johannesburg – The High Court in Johannesburg has upheld the Gauteng Department of Health’s appeal regarding the highly publicised Cancer Alliance ruling in which it was ordered to provide specific reports and updates concerning cancer services while the appeal was pending.

Earlier this year, the Cancer Alliance secured a court ruling that ordered the Gauteng Department of Health to urgently provide lifesaving radiation oncology services to thousands of patients on the backlog list.

That ruling, which found the department’s actions were unconstitutional, ordered the department and hospital executives to provide specific reports and updates concerning cancer services while the appeal was pending.

However, the ruling upholding the appeal was delivered on Friday, 5 December 2025, and overturns the earlier order issued by Judge Dippenaar on 27 March 2025.

RELATED: Cancer Treatment: Gauteng Department Of Health To Appeal Order To Provide Services – The Bulrushes

Commenting on the matter on Monday, 8 December 2025, the department said it welcomed the ruling.

“The high court found that the department’s appeal was justified and should be upheld,’’ explained the department in a statement made available to The Bulrushes.

“Consequently, the earlier order under section 18(2) of the Superior Courts Act has been set aside, and the application initiated by the Cancer Alliance was dismissed with costs.

In its detailed reasoning, the Court highlighted several key points:

• There were strong prospects of success in the appeal, making the previous order inappropriate for execution during the appeal process.

• The Court dismissed claims that executing the earlier order would prevent irreparable harm to cancer patients, noting that the Cancer Alliance did not bear responsibility for patient admissions, diagnoses, or treatment.

• Additionally, the waiting list cited by the Cancer Alliance was deemed insufficient to warrant intervention at this stage.

• The Court emphasised the importance of maintaining the right to appeal before an impartial tribunal, as stipulated by section 34 of the Constitution.

In the statement, the department said it remains committed to improving oncology services.

“Access to these services is a critical priority, and efforts to improve turnaround times and reduce waiting lists are ongoing,” the department said.

“Collaborative measures are in place with national and provincial Treasury structures to secure adequate resources for oncology services.

“Furthermore, the clinical and operational plan for improving these services is currently being implemented at both Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital and Steve Biko Academic Hospital.”

The department said this judgment reinforces its stance on respecting proper appellate processes and maintaining executive authority over public health services.

The department said it remains committed to providing equitable, safe, and constitutionally compliant cancer treatment services, including improving systemic gaps to shorten waiting periods for oncology care.

Support The Bulrushes PayPal Logo
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry0
Happy0
Previous Article WATCH: Opening Of ANC 5th National General Council Conference
Next Article Vehicle Recalls: Suppliers Recall Jeep Wrangler Vehicles, Various Kia Models

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow

Latest News

Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Could Add Over R800 Million To Western Cape Economy  
Business
May 22, 2026
ACSA Is Growing Futures, 1 Opportunity At A Time
Careers
May 22, 2026
Togo Announces Measures To Facilitate Visa-Free Entry For All Africans
News
May 22, 2026
Ronaldo’s Brace Ends Al-Nassr’s 7-Year Saudi Pro League Wait To Be Champions
Football
May 22, 2026
//

The Bulrushes prides itself on real news you can trust. We keep everything simple – no fudging.

  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Politics
  • General
  • World
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Netball
  • Rugby
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes