The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • APO Releases
  • Business
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Netball
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Entertainment
  • Bookmarks
Search
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Science
  • Weird World
  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
Reading: Ford Motor Company (SA) Goes To Court To Interdict Strike At Silverton Plant
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • SA National Elections 2024
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Netball
    • Rugby
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Bookmarks
    • Customize Interests
    • My Bookmarks
  • The Bulrushes
    • Company Profile
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
The Bulrushes > News > Ford Motor Company (SA) Goes To Court To Interdict Strike At Silverton Plant
News

Ford Motor Company (SA) Goes To Court To Interdict Strike At Silverton Plant

Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Published: July 4, 2024
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Pretoria – Thousands of workers at the Ford Motor Company of SA in Silverton, east of Pretoria, have gone on strike to press for a share of the company’s profits.

The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) representing more than 3 000 workers at the Ford plant said the strike began Thursday morning, (4 July 2024).

For its part, Ford has approached the Labour Court in Johannesburg, on an urgent basis, to interdict the strike. 

NUMSA said it was opposing the interdict application arguing that workers have a right to strike to press the company to share profits.

NUMSA said the strike was prompted by the company’s “refusal to share profits with the workers”. 

Workers insist the company was raking in billions of rand in profits, which it was refusing to share with them.

Based on a three-shift 24-hour production schedule, the plant can produce up to 720 vehicles a day, or 200 000 a year.

By the end of June 2024 as many as 33 841 new Rangers had been produced at Silverton with domestic sales of the Ford truck hitting 9 258 vehicles over the same period.

On Thursday morning, disgruntled workers picketed at the gate of the company, where NUMSA President Andrew Chirwa told them that papers served on the union by Ford, claimed: “workers are not entitled to profit sharing, and can only make such demands next year during new negotiation season”.
NUMSA said the strike was “indefinite”.

Meanwhile, the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU) said it supports the strike of its affiliate, NUMSA, which began today at Ford Motor Company. 

“The strike comes after a deadlock between Ford Motor Company and NUMSA from negotiations that have taken place for two years,” SAFTU said.

“Given the profit growths the company has been able to score in the past several years, SAFTU argues that Ford can afford the annual bonuses, not just incentive bonuses. 

“Remuneration packages are a claim on past earnings, and therefore, the net profits of the past year are a testament that the company can be able to afford the bonuses. 

“Effectively, the company can afford annual bonuses to workers because the company makes profits each year.

“SAFTU encourages the workers to fight until they get a concession from Ford Motor Company to pay the bonuses.”

Support The Bulrushes PayPal Logo
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry0
Happy0
Previous Article New Minister Sisisi Tolashe Wants Swift Action Against Abuser Of Elderly Woman
Next Article Mpox Outbreak: Confirmed Cases Rise To 20, Most Patients Treated

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow

Latest News

SA Judiciary Mourns Passing Of Justice Fikile Eunice Mokgohloa
News
August 20, 2026
Growthpoint Squash Nationals: Leading Seeds Survive Opening Day
Squash
August 20, 2026
Mpho Popps To Host The 2026 Content Creator Awards, Sponsored By Samsung
Entertainment
August 20, 2026
Living Legend John Kani: Celebrating 6 Decades Of Performance, Playwriting, Social Justice
Careers
August 20, 2026
//

The Bulrushes prides itself on real news you can trust. We keep everything simple – no fudging.

  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Politics
  • General
  • World
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Netball
  • Rugby
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes