Johannesburg – The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has launched a probe into “K word” posts and alleged xenophobic utterances by Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Gayton McKenzie.
The SAHRC announced on Friday, 15 August 2025, that it “has opened an investigation following receipt of several complaints from political parties and individuals regarding the posts and alleged xenophobic utterances by Minister McKenzie”.
The rights body said it was aware of offensive posts by Minister Gayton McKenzie, ranging between 2011 and 2017, which have resurfaced on his X account on Saturday, 9 August 2025.
The Commission has also noted outrage on social media and in the press regarding these utterances.
“Following assessment of the contents, the Commission is of the view that utterances made by Minister McKenzie are prima facie violations of the provisions of the Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act (Equality Act), 2000,” stated the SAHRC.
“Consequently, the Commission has sent an allegation letter to Minister McKenzie.
Thereafter, the Commission will determine the best way forward, which may include instituting proceedings in the relevant Equality Court as per section 13(3)(b) of the South African Human Rights Commission Act 40 of 2013 (SAHRC Act), read with section 20 of the Equality Act, 2000.
The Commission said it wishes to remind members of the public that the right to freedom of expression is not absolute.
“Hate speech is prohibited in terms of the Equality Act, and the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Act, 2023. Given his position, Minister McKenzie’s conduct is expected to conform to ethical standards that are becoming of a Minister and a member of Parliament,” said the SAHRC.
“The Commission calls on everyone in the country to uphold the principles enshrined in the Constitution, including human dignity, equality, and non-discrimination.”
Responding to a barrage of criticism earlier this week, Sports, Arts and Culture Minister McKenzie posted on X: “I can never be guilty of racism, try some other take down but never racism. I did tweet some insensitive, stupid, and hurtful things a decade or two ago. I was a troll & stupid. I cringe when seeing them, and I am truly sorry for that. I shall subject myself to the investigation.”


