The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
  • Home
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • APO Releases
  • Business
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Rugby
    • Netball
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Entertainment
  • Bookmarks
Search
  • Crime
  • Health
  • Lifestyle
  • Science
  • Weird World
  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
Reading: Grim Task For Families Checking Orkney Bodies
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Home
  • SA National Elections 2024
  • News
    • General
    • Politics
    • World
  • Sport
    • Athletics
    • Basketball
    • Boxing
    • Cricket
    • Football
    • Netball
    • Rugby
    • Swimming
    • Tennis
  • Bookmarks
    • Customize Interests
    • My Bookmarks
  • The Bulrushes
    • Company Profile
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes
The Bulrushes > News > Grim Task For Families Checking Orkney Bodies
NewsWorld

Grim Task For Families Checking Orkney Bodies

Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Published: June 22, 2021
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE

Anxious family members from Lesotho are in Orkney, North West, taking part in the grim task of identifying 20 bodies of suspected illegal miners.

So far Lesotho authorities say they have positively identified 10 of the dead men to be Basotho nationals.

Some of the bodies were found last week on Tuesday evening outside an unused mine shaft in Lawrence Park.

Police Spokesman Sabata Mokgwabone said the rest of bodies were discovered the next day along Ariston Road, near the railway line.

The decomposing bodies were found wrapped in plastic. Some of them had name tags and telephone numbers for people in Lesotho.

North West police, with the help of their Lesotho counterparts, traced family members of the deceased and arranged for them to travel to Orkney.

On Monday the family members began the difficult task of confirming the identity of the dead men.

Lesotho officials, who accompanied the families, met with North West Premier Job Mokgoro to arrange the repatriation of the bodies that have been identified.

The dead men were thought to have been mining unlawfully when they met their demise.

“All the deceased are suspected to be illegal miners,” said Mokgwabone.

Before the bodies were found a video had been doing the rounds on social media.

In the video, a man pleads for help following what he said was a smoke inhalation occurrence at shaft number six.

Mokgwabone said the police were trying to establish if the bodies were linked to the incident alleged in the video.

Support The Bulrushes PayPal Logo
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Email Copy Link
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Surprise0
Angry0
Happy0
Previous Article Defiant Royal AM Won’t Play, Going To Court Again
Next Article Socialite Khanyi Mbau Ditches Local Series For Netflix

Stay Connected

FacebookLike
XFollow

Latest News

Irregular Appointment: Department Of Social Development Must Recover Money
News
May 20, 2026
Legendary SA Composer Colin Shapiro Releases Passion Project ‘Safe Travels’
Entertainment
May 20, 2026
Eskom Threatens To Cut Off Power To Joburg City Over Arrears Of R5,2 Billion
News
May 20, 2026
Ebola Outbreak: U.S. Imposes Travel Restrictions
News
May 19, 2026
//

The Bulrushes prides itself on real news you can trust. We keep everything simple – no fudging.

  • Company Profile
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Politics
  • General
  • World
  • Athletics
  • Basketball
  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Netball
  • Rugby
  • Swimming
  • Tennis
The BulrushesThe Bulrushes
Follow US
Copyright © 2026 The Bulrushes